Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

Harry Potter and the Nostalgia of July

Not that I have ever denied it, but for the record, I am a huge Harry Potter fan. I simply adore the 7 books. And all this sudden outpouring of love for Harry is because I caught the 6th movie over the weekend and it brought back all the wonderful memories of the eager wait that used to precede the release of the HP books, and since most of them were made public in the month of July- that's what triggered the reminiscence.

I read the first one in 2001, a good 4 years after its release. I had obviously read reviews about it- mostly in Delhi Times that used to feature articles that talked about the controversies surrounding the book. The fact that the book dealt with witchcraft and wizardry ended up disturbing Christian sensibilities. And honestly, I never really acknowledged the fan-following the book was generating because I thought it was just a case of plain old hype.

And that's exactly what I kept on feeling till I read the book- my first impression though was that it is like an elongated and expanded Matilda- the Roald Dahl book that was about a young orphan girl who discovers that she can perform magic. But, of course, in the Harry Potter universe, magic is the magic word. It's all about how wizards and witches live all over the world, unknown and hidden from the non-magical people- the Muggles. It's all about spells and potions and charms and brooms and wands and hexes and jinxes and creatures and generally, a whole lot of enchantments.

To all those people whom I still haven't pestered enough, please go ahead and read the series. And no, it's not a book just for kids; the whole series teaches you so much- of the power of friendship, of the strength of innocence, of the inspiration of bravery, of the blindness of power, of the price of cowardice, of the gifts of perseverance and quite a few other thingies.

And since I'm getting all nostalgic, just a few tidbits (all personal, of course):
  • The 5th book is the most disappointing in the series.
  • The books were always ridiculously priced.
  • I cried my heart out when Dumbledore died. I read the book again and then cried all over again. Now, since I have read the book a number of times, I no longer cry but it still is the saddest death in the series.
  • Lord Voldermort is an exceptionally engaging and interesting villain and he has been played to a T by Ralph Fiennes.
  • I discovered an anomaly between the 6th and the 7th books.
  • It was an immense relief when Harry survived at the end of the series.
  • I have 2 copies of the 7th book.
  • I have no freaking idea what are Warner Bros. playing at with the movie franchise- the movies are turning out to be big disappointments.
  • And most importantly, I am still waiting for my letter from Hogwarts and I think I'd make an extremely good witch!

4 comments:

spd said...

saw the film over the weekend. hadn't read the book. was dumbstuck by the discontinuity and the sudden disclosure of the identity of the half-blood prince ... where have all the good films gone that focused on storytelling, like - have been told repeatedly by my brother - the 6th book in the series :) man ... miss well-told stuff that moves you to feel ...so ... saw the film, left confused. I am almost certain now that I didn't like the film. Even though I'm exploring various reasons to redeem its failure as a film. which is why I say enough with harry potter weekends. I rather start reading Harry Potter in print.

spd said...

btw .. good stuff :)

Sheetal said...

Can't say much about rest of the blog but I'm in complete unison with your last "tidbit"....You would make a great blogging witch!! :) ..... Keep writing, Cheets!!

Gchan said...

Sad 2 b a muggle:(
but on da brighter side, well done....